Wilderness Maggid

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Back into Blogging

BS"D


Shalom Shalom!!

Here I am back in the world of blogging-- hopefully to stay! My introduction to blogging back in the fall was a little rough around the edges... My first blog conversation ever necessitated a public defense of my character! Not to mention being labled an anarchist!! (okay, so maybe I am just a wee bit anarchistic-- good call Yoel)

Three things, though, did bother me about blogging and it's for these reasons that I've not been around online since then. Here they are:

1) Anonymous slander. I know the internet is a free universe, but in the world of Jewish Blogging, I expect people to refrain from making anonymous abusive postings. It was so very hurtful to have friends, family, and students "google" me only to have the first three listings that showed up be abusive accusations against me. How was I supposed to defend myself against anonymity? Like the words we speak from our lips, our internet words exist in the universe forever in a way that we cannot take back and so require an extra measure of surety before we lash out ranting into the blogosphere.

2) Nouns verses Verbs. Kuddos to you, Reb David Cooper for G-d being a verb! I live my life IN PROCESS. A position I take today may be a point of humbling tomorrow-- and I'm just fine with that! Unfortunately, people read blogs and figure what you say today is ALWAYS where you're at. So I'm loathe to speak deep thoughts into the blogosphere for fear that comments will be isolated out of context and process and used to slander me (see comment 1 above)

3) Branding of Blog Signatures. It started to become a concern of mine that my blog signature "maggidsarah" was becoming a true signature or "brand" name. I'm not sure exactly why that bothered me, or where I sit with it now, but it's something I've been struggling with for months, to no end.

Having said all of that, I'm jumping back into the blog world anyway. Thanks to all of my friends who have been patiently waiting and prodding since October!!

Blessings to you all for a beautiful Spring.

8 Comments:

  • At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yay! Welcome back to the cyber world, dear Maggid!

     
  • At 2:17 PM, Blogger Tzipporah said…

    ok, now that I've actually got a blog, I'll sign on for real

     
  • At 10:00 AM, Blogger Maggid Sarah said…

    Thanks Tzipporah! It's good to hear from new old friends again. Hope all is well in your universe. Blessings for a Gut Shabbos!

     
  • At 11:33 PM, Blogger Soferet said…

    BS"D
    It's so wonderful to see your smiling face again :D

     
  • At 9:53 AM, Blogger Maggid Sarah said…

    Thanks. It's true, there's no place like home, there's no place like home... remind me to tell you about our purim shpiel this year, very interesting!

     
  • At 3:50 PM, Blogger Tzipporah said…

    Umm, yes, the shpiel was... well... quite something.

    Hopefully they can bring that level of energy to actually telling the story of Esther next year.

     
  • At 4:48 PM, Blogger Maggid Sarah said…

    Yes, Esther did seem to be missing from the goldbrick road (goldblum road?) For all those not in on the purim shpiel here in Eugene, it was a parody of the Wizard of Oz. Quite well written and performed, but a bit challenging intra-jewishly as it also parodied rabbis from different denominations accordng to stereotype, including the Orthodix Rabbi (tin man) who had no heart, the Reform Rabbi with no learning (scarecrow) and the Conservative Rabbi (lion) unable to make up her mind....

    It was interesting to read Aviel's recent post about stereotyped comments toward the Orthodox, and feeling like clicking her heels "there's no place like home."

    How did you know Aviel?

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Blogger Maggid Sarah said…

    Er... that's Orthodox Rabbi, not orthodix!

    Sorry about that!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home